Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Checking Things Off My List

I like lists. Actually, I don’t just like lists, I love lists. I write lists on my hand, on post-it notes, in my phone; I have a list for pretty much everything. Case in point – my phone currently has 10+ lists about Australia. Lists about places to eat, places to drink, places to see...there is not a shortage of Aussie lists. Fortunately, my 3rd weekend in Sydney was all about checking things off the "Places to See" List with Jenn and her partner Ryan. Side note about the use of partner – here in Australia, partner = girl/boyfriend, husband/wife, mate for life. I’ve noticed that Australia is quite the egalitarian society – you sit in the front seat in taxis, cars have the right of way (no exceptions) and you call your significant other your partner.

Apologies for the detour but I promise to have a whole blog about American Aussie observations. Back to the topic at hand - checking things off my Sydney "Must See" List. 1st up - Manly Beach. If you ever visit Sydney and need to get the Ferry, make sure you’re on board within 10mins of departure. Don’t do what I did and meander to the ferry. Nothing screams tourist than people yelling, "Rosalie! Stop taking pictures of the boat or we’ll miss it!"” I can’t help it, I like pictures. And when I’m getting on a ferry boat, I like taking pictures of the boat since I married a Ferrie.

Doesn't this sign just make you smile?

All my Sydney guidebooks have talked about the ferry ride to Manly as an absolute must. Now I know why. The ferry ride to Manly is breathtaking. You see big houses, amazing sailboats and the glorious Aussie entrance to the Pacific Ocean. Being on the ferry reminded me of how I feel every single time I see the Golden Gate Bridge – pure awe and delight. And Manly Beach did not disappoint. I can’t tell you how many times I said out loud, "It is so beautiful here." The beach and ocean always has a way of making me calm and more peaceful. On this particular Saturday, I was both and more.


On our way to Manly Beach, Jenn points out the expensive houses on the water

A view of the Pacific Ocean in between the Northern & Southern points of Sydney

We've arrived safely at Manly and we're off to eat lunch


Jenn and Ryan bring me to the Manly Wharf Hotel
It is like the Beverly Hills Beach Club except it's in Sydney

After lunch we headed to Manly Beach and stopped at The Corso

It was a perfect day to catch some waves

And for the birds to join us for some fun in the sun

Jenn was so excited that she was jumping for joy

And I wanted to show you my "Grrrrr" pose in the air


During our hike, I am introduced to my 1st Aussie bath filled with ocean water

Aussie's enjoying the water via kayak

The sun is shining bright for Manly Beach today

On this beautiful Saturday, Bec & Matt got married - Congrats mates!

Jenn and Ryan, aka Mr. Camera Shy



On our way down the hill, Ryan decided to walk back the rocky way

We stumbled across these people who were prepping for a beach bbq
and we were hoping that we could join them for dinner

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember that boat ride. Gorgeous. Aren't the homes amazing. Mike and I were wondering which house belonged to Tom and Nicole when they were married! :) Enjoy.